Friday, July 19, 2013

Wow... Week #2 at the MTC

It feels like it's been an eternity since I last wrote you. So I'll do my best to fill you in. And before I forget, because it's no longer my first week as a missionary, my correspondence has been limited to p-days only. The Brethren have asked that missionaries communicate with family and friends only on preparation day. As my call letter states, I am "Expected to devote all my time and attention to servin the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs." At first this rule to write home only once a week caused me a lot of worry because I receive many thoughtful letters from friends and family, and I think it would be inconsiderate not to reply. Nevertheless, I've found a way to be obedient whilst still managing my fair share of writing. So I woke up at 4am this morning to tackle the large load. And I'll strive to do my best to write home as much as time and rules permit


Because my time is so limited, I'll focus my letter each week on one aspect of my missionary service. I don't think I could discuss even a hundredth of what happens, but I figure that piece by piece you might get an idea of what it's like to be a missionary.
 
6:00am- Arise, Pray, Shower, Plan/Prepare
6:45- Eat breakfast in former Raintree Commons club-house
7:15- Class instruction for three hours (language and teaching fundamentals)
10:15- Language review/study
11:20- Lunch
12:05- Class instruction for three hours (language and teaching fundamentals)
3:05- Language review/study
4:20- Dinner
5:25- Gym time
6:15- Shower and prepare
6:45- TALL (Tecchnology assisted language learning)
7:45- Personal Study
8:45- Additional Study
9:30- Daily Review, write in journal
10:15- Quiet time
10:30- Lights out
 
This is, in a nutshell, what happens pretty much every day aside from Sunday (because it's the sabbath), Tuesday (Devotional @ Marriott Center), and Thursday (P-day). Pretty dang exciting, huh?
 
Anyhow, this work is the happiest and most satisfying on the face of the earth. The days are remarkably hard and long - 16 hours of straight sacrifice - but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love that I'm beginning to find myself - Ironic, though it may be, because I'm not really looking. I'm already nervously anticipating the flight back to the United States. I don't want to leave this service. Not now. Not ever. I love you! I miss you more than you'd imagine.
 
Love,
 
Elder Benson Gunther




Me and my companion Elder Richards
My apartment - #19
I am on the second floor

The 4 Room mates:  Elder Gunther, Elder Richards, Elder Ostergaard, Elder Acheson


Apartment living room

Apartment Kitchen

Apartment Hallway

Bedroom
The Raintree apartments are used for our classrooms


Class room filled with Elders from my mission

This is our classroom!
Even the bathrooms are MTC-ized


Elder Day and Elder Cox have class in the classroom next door to ours.  They are both AF alumni

Raintree cafeteria
Typical MTC lunch
Typical MTC breakfast
Enjoying our lunch outside.



Typical MTC dinner

I love getting packages from home!
Missionaries from the Adriatic South mission out for a Sunday walk

I ran in to my good friends Elder Ty Young and Elder Braden McLelland at the Devotional on Tuesday.


Rules are tight - can't even touch Sisar Schellenberg (my cousin)
Elder Day and I still enjoy seeing each other daily

We sing in the choir for Tuesday Devotionals


No comments:

Post a Comment